How much time does it take to be a CASA Volunteer?
Do I need special skills or meet any requirements?
No special background or education is required to become a CASA volunteer. We encourage people from all cultures and professions, and of all ethnic and educational backgrounds. Once accepted into the program, you will receive all necessary training in courtroom procedures, social services, the juvenile justice system and the special needs of abused and neglected children.
- Be 21 years old
- Be willing to complete necessary background checks, provide references and participate in an interview
- Complete 36 hours of pre-service training
- Be available for court appearances, with advance notice
- Be willing to commit to the CASA program until your first case is closed
- Be able to talk to a wide variety of people from social workers, school personnel, children, attorneys, and parents.
- Have good record keeping abilities and writing skills.
What Support will I have?
You will be supported every step of the way. You will have opportunities for continuing education and have access to online resources provided by National CASA, including a resource library, national Facebook community and national conference.
When does the next training session begin?